Candidiasis is caused by a yeast like fungus candida albicans. Other species can be C.tropicalis, C.parapsilosis, C.glabrata also.
It can be pseudo hyphae, yeast and chlamydosopore forms. Relatively common inhabitant of oral cavity, gastrointestinal tract and vagina of clinically normal person. As the condition favor they transform to pathogenic form. Its occurrence has increased after the use of antibiotics which destroy the normal inhibitory bacterial flora and immunosuppressive drugs particularly corticosteroids and cytotoxic drugs.
- Immunologic immaturity in infants or old aged persons
- Hormonal disturbances like diabetes mellitus, oral pills
- Long term steroid therapy
- Chronic denture wearing
- Common in female
- Seen mostly on roof of mouth, retromolar areas
- Discomfort taking spicy food
- Smooth thick, creamy white, soft and friable plaque on oral mucosa
- Can be easily wiped leaving erythematous, raw, bleeding surfaces
- Tenderness and burning sensation
- Topical and systemic administration of nystatin
- Ointments and cream such as 1% clotrimazole ointment, 2%ketoconazole cream can be used